There are many, many resources available for language arts, aka communication arts. Charlotte Mason was quite specific about when and how to add in the various components of language arts.
CM Language Art How-To Books
For a quick understanding of her principles and methods regarding Language Arts, I highly recommend Simply Charlotte Mason’s Hearing and Reading, Telling and Writing A Charlotte Mason Language Arts Handbook by Sonya Shafer. It is an invaluable collection of Miss Mason’s writings specifically on language arts and includes practical application ideas and suggestions.
On Narration – the key to a successful CM Education
- 5 Steps to Successful Narration – FREE ebook by Sonya Shafer from Simply Charlotte Mason
- Your Questions Answered: Narration – this book builds and expands on the free e-book by Sonya Shafer from Simply Charlotte Mason.
Curriculum Resource Ideas
For Beginning Reading:
- Delightful Reading by Lanaya Gore – learning to read
- Teaching Reading with Bob Books by Brandy Vencel – learning to read
For Beginning Writing:
- Delightful Handwriting by Lanaya Gore – learning to write
For Primary Grades:
- Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl – This is for grades 2 and 3. Both years are in the same book. You can also get this in workbook form here.
- Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl – This is for grades 4-6. All years are in the same book. You can get this one in workbook form here. There is a teacher’s edition that goes with this available from Amazon. It has been very helpful.