My mom is so awesome! She invited us to dinner with her and dad one night, and studied up on this recipe from Light and Tasty. She totally adapted this to be gluten free and dairy free. It was delicious! (I do wish I was a better photographer.) If you want this to be a normal wheat recipe, skip the xanthan gum and use regular flour.
This is a dressed up pizza suitable for friends and guests…very easy and I think tastes better the next day…making this an even better idea when having friends over for dinner. Mom made this two ways – the first casserole had Bob’s Red Mill baking flour in it, and the other had simply substituted the flour for fresh ground popcorn. We really preferred the corn topping. =)
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (or non-dairy substitute)
- 1 cup Bob’s Read Mill All Purpose Flour OR 1 cup fresh ground popcorn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Rice Milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use a non-dairy substitute or skip it)
- 10 slices pepperoni, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, garlic powder and oregano. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, eggs, milk, oil and salt; pour over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepperoni. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
- Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.